The Marion Barry Youth Leadership Institute (MBYLI) serves as a year-round program to train District of Columbia youth in the concepts of leadership and self-development. The MBYLI training models are conducted in two primary sessions.
Summer Intensive Training Program:
- Participants are recruited in the spring for the MBYLI Summer Intensive Training component.
- Youth Leaders are selected through a rigorous screening process in addition to gaining eligibility through the Marion Barry Summer Youth Employment Program (MBSYEP).
- Summer Training is conducted for six weeks on a local college campus. • Distance Learning Training is conducted on a virtual platform dependent upon DC Government Phased Reopening procedures.
- Includes training seminars, community labs, youth government elections, cultural events, guest speakers and open discussion forums.
Application Information Status: AVAILABLE at MBYLI Summer 2021 - Youth Leader Application
School Year Program:
- Participants are recruited at the end of the summer for the MBYLI School Year Program component.
- Youth Leaders are selected through a rigorous screening process and must be able to provide MBYLI verification documents for eligibility.
- School Year Training is conducted throughout the traditional academic year within the Office of Youth Programs at the Department of Employment Services.
- Distance Learning Training is conducted on a virtual platform dependent upon DC Government Phased Reopening procedures.
- Participants apply skills learned during the Summer Intensive Training program.
- Activities include weekly training sessions, community service projects, general body meetings, youth related forums, and additional leadership development training.
- MBYLI Youth Leaders are called to represent the youth of the District of Columbia at events throughout the city, country, and world.
Application Information Status: Contact [email protected] to receive information updates from a representative from our team.